Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Super Frugal

So I know that sometimes I am just a little too cheap, but that's not really a bad thing, right? I learned about homemade laundry detergent a couple of months ago at a Stake Preparedness Fair and was intrigued. It costs TONS less and is said to work just as well. My only issue was that it made huge bucket's worth and I didn't know where I'd put the bucket. When I was talking to my mom about it, she said she had a recipe that was for dry detergent.

Then I ran out of laundry detergent a few days ago. (I know. That's a horrible thing to run out of, but I kept forgetting to buy it at the store, and it's something I have a hard time really stocking up on since it's so expensive.) I decided to give the homemade laundry soap a go, and it is great! It's really simple and seems to clean just as well as anything else.

Here's what you do (since I know everyone is SO interested!)
Grate a bar of Fels Naptha soap on the smallest part of your grater
Add 1 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team brand is recommended and also the only kind I could find)
Add 1 cup of Washing Soda (different from baking soda)
Mix it all up and then use 2 Tablespoons for each load of laundry.

Ta da! Super easy and pretty darn cheap. All the stuff cost me $8, and the only thing I have to buy again is FelsNaptha soap which is a buck. Yay for being a cheapskate! :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give it a try. I'm always looking for a way to save a buck:)

Stacy Pettersen said...

I, too, am intrigued. But I've NEVER heard of those ingredients. Are they pretty easy to find?

Amy said...

too cool! i love getting things on a deal and being creative...looks like this does both!

Christy said...

Can you use it in energy efficient machines? Good for you!