Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Those Diapers

The most common question I've been asked recently (other than "How are you doing?") has been "How are those diapers working out for you?"

So I'm going to tell you about "those diapers." They have been great. My favorite thing about them is that they do not leak when Abby poops. No blowouts. I used disposable diapers when we were at Bear Lake, and we had poop going up the back. I hate having to get poop out of clothes. I'd much rather wash the diapers! :)

Washing and stuffing the diapers hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would be. It's easy to stick them in the washing machine, do the first wash then push a button and have it do the second wash and extra rinse. The inserts dry in the dryer and the covers hang dry. I spend 10 minutes stuffing them and they're ready. At this point I have to wash every other day, and I'll admit I'm looking forward to when it's not quite that often.

The poop comes out of the diapers pretty well right now, but when Abby starts on solids, I'll use liners (torn up old sheets) so I can just throw away the poop. So there won't be the scrubbing in the toilet. That's just plain gross!

I do have two complaints about the diapers. First, they aren't coming as clean as my sister's do. I don't know if it's a change in the material, my washer, or Abby's poop is more stainy than Henry's was. :) They do come pristinely clean when I bleach them, but you can only do that once a month or it will wear out the covers. But they are diapers, and it's not that big of a deal.

Second complaint is that they were leaking when Abby peed. This was because her little legs weren't fat enough to fill the leg holes. She has quickly taken care of that problem and chubbed up quite nicely. But if she is on her side when she pees it will still leak. Gratefully she doesn't spend much time on her side.

So that is my answer to your question. I am glad that I am using the Bum Genius diapers. I feel like they are saving us money, and it's nice to not have to feel like I'm throwing away a quarter when she poops in a new diaper. I know they're not right for everyone, but they are working well for us.

3 comments:

Stacy Pettersen said...

Thanks, we've been thinking about going cloth since we're totally broke in school etc. It's nice to hear your perspective!

Nancy said...

LOVE cloth diapers.

Drying them out in the sunshine gets the poop stains out and helps prolong the life of the diaper.

Also, I agree--blowouts with cloth diapers hardly ever happen. That's one of the reasons I switched to cloth with our first. I was scrubbing poop-stained clothes all the time and I figured that washing cloth diapers couldn't be much different! :)

I'm glad you like them!

Have you tried wool covers? I'm thinking about making some but I'm just not sure that I could trust them...hmmmm...

Amy said...

Very interesting...And yes I was curious too!;)