Potty training Abby started back in January. Emmy was potty trained by her second
birthday, so of course Abby would be too.
I figured that would give us a couple of months before the baby came and
hopefully she wouldn’t regress too much.
I certainly wasn’t going to have two children in diapers!
Well, surprise, surprise, Abby is not Emmy. She wasn’t quite ready before she turned two
and then our summer turned into vacation after vacation and potty training on
the road is a nightmare. So I had two in
diapers, and it wasn’t all that bad.
A couple of weeks
ago, Abby started telling me every time she peed of pooped in her diaper and
would demand I changed her right then. I
decided that when we ran out of diapers I wasn’t buying anymore. The time had come. I started to lose my nerve as the stack of
diapers dwindled. What was a I thinking
trying to potty train with a brand new baby and little sleep at night?!?! Then one evening as I was filling the bathtub
with a naked Abby looking on, she suddenly turned walked a couple steps to her
little potty, sat down and peed. She
knew she needed to go, she knew there was no diaper to catch it, so she went on
the potty. That showed me that she
really was ready. We went to the store
and bought a few prizes for her to earn by going potty, and set the start date
for Monday.
And so, this past Monday I prayed for extra patience, moved
the little potty to the kitchen (where we spend most of our time and it is tile
floor for easy clean up), and put Abby in undies. She was quite willing to sit on the potty and
put stickers on her chart and went every couple of hours when I asked her if
she needed to go. We didn’t have any
accidents all day! That evening as she
was eating dinner she suddenly grabbed her undies and scrambled down from her
chair. I helped her get to her potty,
and she peed the rest in the potty. Day
one: one partial accident.
Tuesday was accident free until the evening as well. She peed while playing outside in the backyard
and was super upset about it. I was
really glad she cared!
Since then, she has been accident free and even worn undies
to bed! I know we are not officially
potty trained yet, but I am SO happy with her progress. Overall it has been fairly pain-free. Let’s hope it continues! I look forward to the day I can relax and
just wait for her to tell me when she needs to go. Until then, I’m happy to not spend money on
size 4 diapers!
2 comments:
Congratulations to Abby for being so grown up! What an accomplishment. I'm glad it's gone so well for you both. Great news.
Yea Abby!!! Give her a hug from us. That's awesome.
Post a Comment