Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, May 11, 2013

All About Abby


Abby is quite the character right now.  She loves to pretend and is talking so well that we get to know everything that she’s thinking.  She seriously talks (or sings) constantly!  It’s hard to hear someone in the other room calling for me because she is chattering away right next to me.  But I love to be a part of her imaginary world and hear her take on the world around us.  Here are several things about Abby that I’ve jotted down on my “To Blog” list.

Abby’s speech is improving immensely and my parents and Brett’s parents have all commented on how much easier it is to understand her.  Since I am well-versed in Abby-ese, I haven’t noticed the difference quite as much.  For those not familiar, here is a crash course in Abby-ese.  She uses “my” for I consistently.  She just recently started putting “s” and “sh” on the beginnings of words. (I think that’s made the biggest improvement in understandablitly.)  She uses “d” for “g” as in “Dat a dood pan?” (That a good plan?)  She also cannot pronounce “L” so when our friend Lucy came to play, it was “Ucy.”  She seems to always have a phrase that is just too darn cute.  When exasperated at forgetting something: “What my sinking?” (I say, “What was I thinking?” when I do something crazy.)  When looking carefully for something, “Let’s use our googley eyes…“ (except she can’t say “g” so it’s “doodley”).  While telling me to do something, “You want to hold my baby that be perfect fine with me.”  

Abby started using the handle of our recumbent exercise bike as a microphone a few months ago.  She often bears her testimony, prays, and gives “talks” (generally random stories about her baby Missy Moo).  Up until last week, she would only say a prayer in the microphone, meaning if Brett asked her to say the dinner prayer, she would climb out of her seat, walk down the half flight of stairs to the family room, say the prayer in her “microphone” and then come up for dinner.  

Abby could spend all day in the basement play room if I could stay there with her.  She adores her doll Missy Moo and has several imaginary friends to visit (Molly, Deyah, and Mamie are the favorites).  She is such a great little mommy and can pack the fullest diaper bag I’ve ever seen!  Three phones, a complete meal, and plenty of clothes.  One day she kept telling me to do something I couldn’t understand.  Finally I got that she wanted to be the crossing guard (or guy if you ask her) so I could cross the road.  We get to cross with a crossing guard every morning when we take Emmy to school and she thinks holding up a stop sign looks pretty fun.  

Oh, how we love our sweet Abby girl!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

She is so cute! Love all your updates! It was so fun to see your all yesterday too :) What a sweet family you have