Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Room Swap

A couple of weeks ago, Emmy came home with a persuasive essay she'd written at school. 

(Dear Mom and Dad, I really want something. Something I've allwees wanted. So lisin closle. [listen closely]. I want my own room! And I promis I'll cleen it evryday. And Aaron is getting to big for a crib. He needs a big boy bed. And I promes I wold cleen my room evry Saturday. And I really dusrv [deserve] my own room. Love, your very clean doter [daughter] )

Apparently she wanted her own room and had wanted it for quite some time! This got a discussion started about how we could make that happen. I'd always thought she'd move downstairs when we needed space for another child (not on the horizon), but Brett had another, brilliant idea. Abby and Aaron could share and Emmy could have her own room!

The whole plan hinged on our afraid-of-heights Abby sleeping on the top bunk. Emmy told her she'd give her a penny if she did and that was enough to convince Abby. :) The first night didn't go so well, but every night since has been great. Over two weeks Abby went from being nervous on top to jumping off! 

The next hurdle was convincing Aaron to leave his beloved crib (turned toddler bed). The girls have been trying to sell the perks of the bottom bunk for awhile but really stepped it up this morning during my shower. By the time I was ready, they had his pillow, blankets, stuffed animals, and sippy cups moved in and he had agreed to take his nap there. I thought he would take a lot more convincing! In fact I didn't want to attempt until the construction equipment wall decals I'd ordered arrived. (He wouldn't be able to resist sleeping by the digger and dump truck!) 

Emmy figured he was on board so we began moving stuff. The rocking chair to Abby and Aaron's room, the shelf to Emmy's room, the changing table to the toy room, take down the crib, put up the twin bed...cleaning and vacuuming as we went. 

It took a couple of hours, and we still need to change dressers and organize closets! BUT all the kids are tucked into their new beds and excited to be there. Now we need to get Aaron to stop saying that he sleeps in "the girls' room"!

No comments: