Emmy has had a very accident-prone day. She fell down the stairs this afternoon. Actually, I guess she rolled down the stairs, but it was still pretty scary. I didn't witness the event, but Nana did and she said Emmy's face was full of shock and fear. It looked a lot like Nana's face (who I could see), I imagine. Emmy was pretty shaken up, but she said the only thing that hurt was her cheeks. We're guessing she got a rug burn on her way down. On further inspection of the stairs, we found claw marks in the carpet where she had tried to stop herself. Poor girl! Gratefully she calmed down after cuddles from Mommy and Uncle Nate.
I was talking to my mom on the phone when Emmy fell, so I quickly said, "Emmy just fell down the stairs. Bye." I had Emmy call my mom back after she'd calmed down so my mom wouldn't worry too much. Emmy was quite proud of her tumble at this point, so she told Grandma all about it. "I fall down the stairs. Let me show you," she said, heading over to the stairs. I reminded her that we had to just talk on the phone since Grandma couldn't see through the phone. "Okay," she replied, but she headed straight up the stairs. "I was standing right here," she explained (with her words of course since Grandma couldn't see!).
Then this evening we were sitting in the living room listening to Uncle Nate practice his piano songs. This is one of Emmy's favorite activities, and she requests certain songs quite often. I figure it's a win-win situation: Emmy is entertained and Nate gets in his practicing! Tonight while we were listening, Emmy was standing on a chair. I wasn't too worried because she was just standing and not jumping. (That's major progress for us!) But then she lost her balance and fell over the arm of the chair face first. She did a face plant and bent her neck and back so far that I was worried about spinal damage as I ran over to her. She started crying immediately which I figured was a pretty good sign. I made her lay there for a few seconds to make sure she could move and everything before I picked her up. This time the only thing she complained about was her forehead. I'm so grateful kids are made of rubber! And I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has been watching out for her today! We have a goal of being much more careful and safe tomorrow. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ohh... cute rubber Emmy. I am glad it all ended well. All of my children have tumbled down stairs or smacked their face falling off a chair but it is always a bit nerve wracking. Hang in there... and keep those angels watching over your little explorer.
I agree with you. I like to say, "Thank goodness children bounce!" It always seems to be the big tumbles where they are made of rubber. It's the littlest accidents that have caused the biggest injuries in our house!
Seriously, Max took the "greatest fall ever" down my mother in-law's stairs and he nly ended up with a not so cute bruise and a scratch, a freaked out Aunt Shelley (she saw the whole thing happen, poor girl), and no broken bones! If that were me I would have been in a body cast with my brittle old bones:) It is scary but they sure can bounce and bend!
I am considering putting Max in a bubble, but I am sure he would find a way to hurt himself in that as well ;)
Post a Comment