Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Take a Picture and Blog About It

A few weeks ago, Emmy started sleeping under the high chair in the kitchen. It started when she followed me downstairs after I tucked her in for the night. I didn't want to fight a battle, so I told her I didn't care as long as I didn't see her or hear her. So she settled down for the night on the nice, hard, cold stone floor. And fell fast asleep. Brett carried her upstairs when we went to bed.

The next night she did the exact same thing. And the next. By night four, we were getting a little concerned. How long was this going to continue? I told Brett I'd talk to my sister Julie about it. She thought long and hard about it and gave me this sage advice: Take a picture, blog about it, and then wait for the phase to end. So here is your picture and blog post.
And, yes, the phase has ended. She now falls asleep on the couch in the family room. She just wants some company, and she's pretty good about not talking, and she falls asleep pretty quickly. Someday she and Abby will share a room, and then she'll have plenty of company! (Although she might not want it anymore!)

And here is a picture of Emmy trying to fit into some of Abby's sleepers. Think she's grown much?

This happens almost every time we get out a new box of clothes for Abby to grow into. Emmy just thinks they are so darn cute, I guess. (Isn't Emmy so beautiful when she let's me fix her hair and keeps it in?)

And here's a funny story about my little girl who's growing up way too fast. I just look at her sometimes and wonder where in the world the last three years have gone. She's half way to four now. FOUR! That's a child, a kid, a girl, not a baby or a toddler. I guess I can still call her a pre-schooler for another year.

And after that Mommy moment, here's the story. Emmy talks quite clearly and is easy to understand most of the time by most people. She still struggles some with her "R"s and rarely puts the "S" sound on the beginning of words. When people can't understand her and look to me for a translation, I just tell them to put an "S" on the beginning of the word they didn't understand. It works every time. Just ask my mom or Cami. :) But her lack of S's does cause confusion at home every once in a while, too.

We have lots of hornets around our house. They are really annoying, and we (Brett) are constantly spraying their nests. One day in August, Emmy and I walked out our back door onto the deck to check on the neglected garden. Apparently that door had not been used in quite some time and as soon as I opened it, a spider ran in the house from his web we'd just destroyed. I quickly squashed the spider with my shoe and Emmy and I walked out and immediately heard a buzzing sound. I ran down the stairs of the deck, but Mr. Hornet followed close behind and stung me on the neck. It hurt SO badly, but I didn't cry because I was so MAD at those stupid bugs for building their stupid nest on our door frame. Anyway, I was very grateful Emmy or Abby hadn't gotten stung, and the sting felt better after some hydrocortisone cream and a few hours.

That night at dinner, Emmy emphatically told Brett, "Daddy, you have got to pray the hornets in the backyard."

There was a moment of silence and a puzzled look on Brett's face before he said, "Oh, Spray the hornets! Got it! Yes, Emmy, I will take care of them."

Dunno what would happen if we prayed the hornets, but it might not be a bad idea!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Kayla loves to try on Ashlyn's clothes, but drew the line this summer when Ashlyn fit into her own shorts. Can't wait for the teenage years! :)

Kayla's quirk with speech is sometimes her L's (Ashlyn used to be Ashwin), using a similar meaning of a word (she died the bug instead of killed the bug), and my favorite - talking about herself in third person (can be kinda creepy sometimes).

Such cute girls!