Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Blessed Discovery

Emmy has discovered how to play by herself. Hallelujah!!!! It is so wonderful to be able to focus on something other than keeping her entertained, and it is much less guilt-invoking than TV. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but all of a sudden her stuffed animals are the greatest playmates ever.

She has always loved to pack things in bags, but her new love is packing boxes. She packs all of her stuffed animals and anything else they may need into a shoe box and a couple of other small boxes she found around the house so they can go on a trip. Sometimes they go as far as Egypt (to visit Baby Jesus and his family since they fled to Egypt for a time) or sometimes they stay closer and just visit Nana or Grandma. Once, she brought load after load of stuff into the kitchen while I was making dinner, announcing she was going to stay as a guest at our house. I played along and showed her to her "room" where she could put her things. We carried her luggage downstairs to her play area in the family room and I showed her some nice bins to put her things in. And then she spent the next 10 minutes "moving in" and putting her toys back where they went! (That was an added bonus since the boxes generally don't get put away that easily.)

Last week my mom watched the girls while I went to the cannery, and when I came home, Emmy discovered that disposable diapers (a novelty since we use cloth) make wonderful little beds for her Nativity Little People. Here they are all arranged in their beds on the coffee table in the living room.
I have no hopes of having a clutter-free house for the next several years, and I'm getting more and more okay with it. :)

It is so fun to listen to her play and hear her imagination at work! Unfortunately, bad dreams and being scared to fall asleep by herself have accompanied the self-entertaining time. I'm trying to be compassionate, but when I'm already up 3-4 times a night with an itchy Abby, it is not fun to be climbed over when Emmy tries to sleep in our bed. This too shall pass, right? In the mean time, she's still pretty darn cute!

No comments: