Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Preparations!

It's that time of year again! (Picture taken by Emmy with the self-timer. She came down to me one evening with the camera and said, "Mom, it took a lot of tries, but I got some good pictures of me with the bears. This is my favorite one." She did have a few funny "tries," but this is a pretty darn good picture!) We are sewing costumes, decorating the house (with the 6 Halloween decorations we have), and painting pumpkins! I love watching my children and husband do this tradition, but I don't feel confident in my painting skills, so actually painting my own pumpkin is not my favorite. But we will certainly keep doing it because the kids have so much fun!

Emmy had a plan from the beginning this year (first time for that). She wanted to paint the whole pumpkin pink, but we convinced her to only do the half that people see. Then she painted a black face. Brett helped with the triangles, but she told him where to put them and then colored them in. She was super careful and came away with two smudges of paint on her fingers.

Abby LOVED painting...once she figured out it was not for eating. She requested "puh-puh" which is apparently purple (didn't know she knew that word!) and when I loaded the brush and handed it to her, it went straight for her mouth. I snatched her hand back before any got in her mouth, but it took a few minutes to convince her to just "color" with it. Silly girl.

Abby colored with purple, pink, black, and green (all the colors others used). She was doing quite well staying clean until her feet got in on the action.
The bottom of her right foot was covered in pink. She got a mini bath in the kitchen sink afterward.

Here are the finished products. Abby, Brett, Emmy, Becca

And here we are attempting to look like our pumpkins. We'd already cleaned Abby up; otherwise she would have looked like her pumpkin, too - all different colors!

4 comments:

Jenelle said...

dfbnmjuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvccfffffffffffffffffffffffffcccxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Madi says, "I love you, Emmy. I like your pumpkins. I like fruit salad. I want to come to you house and see you and ride bikes with you."

:) We love you guys. -Jenelle

Julie and Matt said...

So cute! I love Abby's toe painting.

Shelley said...

How fun! I think Jayd might be more inclined to painting, than carving (cleaner)... guess we'll have to wait till we are out of our apt.

Merilee said...

Oooooohhhhh, I really like that idea for pumpkin painting. We just might have to try that. Ashilene loves painting.:)