Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Abby Right Now

At 20 1/2 months, Abby-

-Has only 8 teeth (and the 8th is a recent addition). She still manages to eat about anything, but I noticed today that she swallows fruit snacks whole. Not a safe thing, and such a waste of fruit snacks! Her favorite foods include blueberries, chicken nuggets dipped in ketchup, frozen peas (not warm, though), anything noodle-based, and M&Ms. She also discovered bread with peanut butter recently and ate a piece and a half before dinner tonight.

-Loves the song “Teach Me to Walk in the Light.” She calls it “Tee-Chee” and insists on singing it (and only it) before naps and bedtime. She even sings along in her sweet voice. It melts my heart! When it’s not bedtime, she loves to sing, “Wheels on the Bus” (complete with actions, the babies saying ‘wa-wa’ is her favorite), “Popcorn Popping,” and “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.” She is still distractible by songs and I can get her to forget about me taking away a special treasure or lay still for a diaper change if I sing a fun song.

-Is speaking full sentences. She most often says, “I wanna grape, Mama.” Her most common phrase is “No, Memmy!” She is also parroting everything we say and has more words than I would care to count. It’s so nice that she can communicate what she wants most of the time. She is also speaking in first person more often now that I am making an effort to talk in first person when I talk to her. I didn’t realize I was doing it, but I would always say, “Mommy needs to finish this and then she can hold you.” Brett and Emmy were speaking in third person, too (probably copying me), so it’s no wonder the only personal pronoun-ish word she used was “MINE.” Now that I say “I” and “me,” she’s starting to as well.

-Talks on the phone. She does pretty well talking on the phone to Grandma, Nana, and Daddy. All while it’s ringing she says, “Hi, Gama” over and over…then she usually gets shy when Grandma actually answers! After she gets over the shock of hearing someone on the other end, she enjoys talking so much that I really have to be creative to get a turn sometimes!

-Would probably be potty-trained if I hadn’t been morning sick all of January. She stays dry for 2+ hours at a time, tells me when she’s peeing, pees when she sits on the potty (as long as she has just peed and stays still for more than 5 seconds), and HATES to be in a wet diaper. I have high hopes that we can work on it more now that I have more energy and have her potty trained well before the baby comes. A break from diapers would be VERY nice!

-Loves to help. She no longer loves to throw things away, but she is the first one at the coat closet when I announce it’s time for shoes and coats. She is so proud of herself when she finds her own shoes or takes off her coat. She still insists on us putting things “AWAY!” but does fairly well putting her own things away, too.

-Is still super sweet and easy-going. She is definitely exerting some independence, but for the most part, she is still an easy child. She is always thinking of others. If I give her a cracker, she holds out her other hand and asks, “Memmy?” We have to ask Emmy if she wants one and get one for her. Her constant concern for Emmy is so sweet. (And reciprocated: Emmy ALWAYS shares her treat from primary with Abby and often saves some of her snack from pre-school to share with her sister.) I must have done something right teaching these little girls if they are so unselfish and concerned about each other!

2 comments:

Nana said...

I was so impressed with the phone message Abby left for me last week. I truly wasn't sure if I was listening to one of the older granddaughters or not! Abby certainly is growing up!

Amy Anderson said...

The sharing is sooo sweet! How darling! And 3rd person was funny! lol!