Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Introducing Eli


Elias Robert Okelberry 
9 lb 6 oz
21 inches 

What better Mother's Day gift could I ask for than a healthy baby boy born the day before his due date? 

After a horrible night of my stomach being extremely tight in one solid contraction and having terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea, I called my midwife to see if she had any recommendations. She told me to into labor and delivery to be evaluated. She was starting an induction at the other hospital and wanted to know if I was in labor or not. We ended up spending from 9am until 2 pm in the triage room hooked up to monitors that showed I was having contractions every five minutes (but that had been happening on and off for several weeks). They got a bit concerned about the baby because his heartbeat was all over the place and they couldn't establish a baseline. They even sent us for an ultrasound which showed the fluid level was on the low end of normal (not surprising since I was so dehydrated from my awful night) but the baby was doing perfectly fine. 

During the 5 hours I was monitored I went from a 3 to a 4 (with some help from the nurse stripping my membranes each time she checked me). They even let me have an hour of "shore leave" (as Brett called it to see if walking around would help move things along. We had my mom bring the kids so we could eat lunch with them at the cafeteria since we thought we wouldn't be going home until after the baby was born. It was fun to see the kids, and I really enjoyed getting to eat some food! I didn't progress any during that hour so I was released. We were a little surprised to be sent home after spending so much time in the hospital already, but I was grateful to be able to labor at home. 

My sister, Julie, had driven down from Logan once we knew (thought) this was the real deal. Julie, my mom, and I went on a walk during which the contractions continued and got a bit more intense. Then I laid down and took a beautiful, much needed 1 hour nap. During our second walk, I had to stop to breathe through the contractions, and we only made it around our block once. While visiting with my family, I learned that it hurts really bad to laugh during a contraction! After a quick dinner (I didn't eat much), Brett, Julie, and I headed to the hospital a little after 6. 

I was dilated to a 5 1/2 when we arrived at the hospital. It was progress but I'll admit I was hoping to be farther. :) Once we were officially admitted and in the labor and delivery room, my mom and Ember arrived. Ember was SO excited to be a part of the birth! I labored in the tub for a short time but it didn't do much to help me relax (probably because it was super hot water and it didn't actually cover my belly). 

I LOVED having a midwife this time around. Claudia was the midwife on call and I was very happy about that. She told me I was in charge and to do what felt right for my labor. I felt like that was a lot of pressure; I wanted someone else to tell me what to do! But it ended up being so nice because I never felt like I had to do something I didn't want to do. I labored on my side (as she suggested) after the tub and it was amazing to feel how that helped the baby move down with each contraction. I was getting pretty tired and anxious to be done. (I'd hardly slept the night before, remember?) Claudia broke my water and I started pushing a little bit. He was having a hard time moving past a bone so I really have it my all. It felt like I was pushing forever when it was really only about 20 minutes. With my other babies I haven't started pushing quite as early (and they weren't nearly as big as Eli!). I was most nervous for crowning because I remember it hurting so badly (with Abby especially). But Claudia was amazing and gave counter pressure and moved things around so I hardly felt it! When his head was half way out she suctioned him a bit and I asked if I was done yet. :) They told me I was almost done but we had to get his shoulders out. That was a bit more work than my other babies and I ended up tearing a little. 

Then he was born! They brought his wet, squirming, crying body up on my chest,  and we had our baby! 


That is the best feeling in the world, and it makes me tear up to think about it. I'm so grateful that my sister took pictures of the first several minutes after Eli was born. It brings all the emotion back. I love this one because you can see how excited Brett and Ember are too. I love that Ember was there. 

It was an amazing moment, made even more amazing by how much harder it was than my other natural births. With Abby and Aaron, I kind of walked into the hospital, pushed a few times, and had a baby. I did the hardest part at home, and I started labor fairly refreshed and energized. This labor started with an exhausted body and I had to do a lot if it at the hospital because we were worried about getting at least an hour of antibiotics because I was GBS positive. And let's at least mention the fact that Eli is 3 pounds bigger than Abby and 1 1/2 pounds bigger than Aaron! I think that made a bit of a difference... 


Just look at all the chub on this guy! 

After I'd been very selfish and held Eli for at least half an hour, Ember asked if she could have a turn holding him. We let Daddy go first, but I think Ember got the longest and most frequent turns that night. :) 


Eli was quite the crier and grunter for the first couple hours. They told us he needed to clear his lungs. I just hoped it wasn't indicative of his personality. (It wasn't.) 


Ember was up WAY past her bedtime Saturday night (got home at 11:45) but she was so sweet and happy to be there. She says it was an amazing experience and very different from the video I showed her because it was her own brother. 


I'm so grateful Julie came down for the birth. She's an amazing support. 


And here's the midwife Claudia. She was great! I highly recommend using a midwife, and I wish I'd done it for all my babies. 


We are so grateful for our healthy, handsome baby boy! 

2 comments:

Stacy Pettersen said...

Oh my gosh he is such a chuncker, and an adorable one at that! I really hope I don't make it to my due date because I am SURE I will be right there with you and a 9 pound baby (my last one was 11 days early and 8.5 pounds)!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Meanwhile, while looking back over your blog I saw this again and my comment makes me laugh! And our babies were identical... 9 pounds, 6 ounces and 21 inches long, so funny!