My mom and I canned apple pie filling today. Her neighbor's apple tree was loaded, and we were told to take as many as we wanted, so we did! Emmy was such a big helper. She stood right next to me on her stepstool, and she would choose which apple we would peel/core/slice next (on a handy little gadget, not by hand - we are NOT that adventurous!). She also loved to help turn the handle on said gadget.
When that got boring, she started exploring drawers in Grandma's kitchen. My mom and I were talking and I asked her, "Have you ever made apple sauce at home?"
"No," my mom replied.
"Yeah," Emmy said at the same time.
Surprised, I looked at Emmy. "You have? How do you make it?"
"E-M-Y. Emmy!" she replied with a smile.
So now I know how to make homemade apple sauce. I imagine it would turn out like Emmy's own recipe of apple pie filling. Here is how it goes:
Slide your stool over to Grandma's station while she is busy at the stove.
Put the rings of apples that still have the peel on them in the empty jar.
Put the ring on the jar (a wide mouth ring on a regular mouth jar, mind you)
Take the ring off and add a fork and a few more apple pieces.
Replace ring.
Say "Here you go!" and show it to everyone proudly!
Don't tell her that we dumped it out during her nap and filled it with our more conventional - and more boring - apple pie filling. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a cutie! She certainly will be quite the homemaker after all the practice that she is getting!
Post a Comment