Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Season for Giving

Emmy was "helping" me put things away from our adventurous shopping day yesterday. (I learned why I don't take Emmy with me shopping when I'm going by myself. She's into EVERYTHING! And she's "ah-done" a little sooner than I'm all done. But we made it through two stores and I'm a lot more ready for Christmas now.)

Anyway, Emmy found the little musical toy we got to donate to our ward "Giving Tree" for families in our ward who need some help for Christmas. She thought it looked like a pretty neat toy.

I told her, "That is a toy we're going to give to a little baby for Christmas. Do you think the baby will like it?"

Emmy ran over to her Little People Nativity (that was scattered on the floor - she doesn't seem to get that it should go on the coffee table. Her favorite spot is on the couch, all set up, but on the couch.) She whispered "Baby Jeshus, Baby Jeshus" and grabbed the right piece. "Here ya doe, Baby Jeshus" she said, setting the Baby Jesus piece in front of the toy as she showed Him how it made music.

It was the first time this season that I really paused to feel the true meaning of Christmas. My 19 month old reminded me who we should be giving gifts to - the reason we run around to so many stores and stress about what for who. I'm so grateful for "teaching moments" - especially those that teach me.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That is so sweet! You're so lucky to have her in your life!