Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Mei Tai

I am getting anxious for this little girl to join our family...and I still have 16 weeks to wait! Isn't that a little early for the nesting to start? :) But I had to work on something, so I started researching baby carriers. Since Emmy will be over 3, I figured a double stroller was not a real necessity since Emmy will want to walk most of the time anyway. So I figure I'll just carry the baby and push a stroller that may or may not contain Emmy.

My sister has an Ergo carrier which she let me borrow for Emmy. It is a marvelous carrier that is super comfortable to wear, and it allows the baby to sit instead of hang by her crotch which is better for her back. The only downside - they cost $105! You know that I'm a cheapskate. I just couldn't justify paying that kind of money. So I kept looking. They are super hard to find used, and they still cost at least $70. Then I stumbled upon Mei Tais. They are the same idea as an Ergo carrier, but you tie it around yourself instead of buckling. And there are a million blogs with instructions about how to make your own. My friend who made one told me which websites she used, and I decided to make my own!

Here is the result! It took some figuring (making your own pattern is nerve wracking no matter how many picture instructions there are!), most of the day, and some moral support from my mom (thanks Mom!), but it only cost $18, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.


Emmy LOVED being in it! I'll admit that it wasn't too great to have the pressure on my baby belly, but other than that it was quite comfortable. I'm sure it will be even better not pregnant and with a tiny baby in it. :)
Emmy thought she was having a horsey ride when she was on back.

I'm really proud of what I made, and I'm happy to share the pattern if anyone wants one! I'll even make it for you if you'll watch Emmy! :)

So now I have one project down. I think I'll work on making doll clothes for Emmy's baby that she'll bring home from the hospital next. That just sounds like fun!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I love my mei tai too! I didn't make it until Aaron was close to a year old, but I have still gotten so much use out of it. You will love it!!!!! Good job, too! I really like the stitching down your straps.

Jenelle said...

Great job, Becca! You are so talented. It looks great and what a price difference! I LOVE Emmy's smiles in those pictures- what a ham!

Julie and Matt said...

Awesome! Very well done.

Nancy said...

You're definitely talented. :)

I love baby-wearing.

Shelley said...

I would totally love to watch Emmy for you, if you'd make me one to put in my hope chest. I'll pay for the fabric and anything else too! You are amazing!

Nana said...

Becca, you are so very clever!