Here are the momentous occasions we're excited about at our house:
- The much anticipated ultrasound is THIS Thursday. We'll be over 21 weeks, and I'm pretty anxious to know if we'll have a trio of girls or a new adventure with a boy. (Emmy continues to stick with her initial assessment of "I hope it's a girl, but I think it's a boy.")
-Abby is FINALLY getting her molars. As hard as it is, I'm really excited that she'll be able to chew more things. I think she'll probably still eat the same foods, but she will be faster and not swallow things whole. Unfortunately, they are taking their sweet time, and she often comes toward me with her mouth wide open needing to bite something right now. She loves ibuprofen and has started pushing on her belly telling me she has an owie and needs medicine.
-Emmy has fallen asleep in her own bed for the past week. She got in the habit of falling asleep on the living room couch back in December, and I wasn't sure how we were going to break the habit. Then we got home late one evening last week (one of many evenings last week, actually; we were having way too much fun with family in town for Conference), and we put her to bed in her own bed saying that we were heading to bed so soon that she wouldn't have time to fall asleep downstairs before we carried her upstairs.
-And here's a sweet story to accompany that accomplishment. Apparently she got it in her head that she would have bad dreams if she fell asleep in her own bed. She said an extra prayer that night before falling asleep. Then in the morning, she chided me for interrupting her prayer. As soon as she woke up, she realized she hadn't had bad dreams and immediately said a prayer thanking Heavenly Father. What a great experience with prayer at such a young age. And what a great example of remembering to say thank you!
-Emmy set a goal to watch all the sessions of General Conference. I printed several activity pages to help her pay attention, but she hardly touched them! She sat on the couch and watched Conference! (And thought it was so funny that others couldn't stay awake!) She did have some great aunts and uncles to sit by and keep her company, but I was quite impressed with her attention span. Unfortunately, she was listening quite intently during the story about the family in Haiti during the earthquake in which the three children were buried in the collapsed apartment building. I have never been so glad to have a story end in a very happy miracle! She talks about it so much as it is; I'm sure we would have had even more concerned discussions if the children had never been found.
-Emmy has an umbilical hernia that is not going to close on its own. Our pediatrician sent us to a pediatric surgeon last fall, but we opted to wait until our insurance changed in March because we thought it would be less expensive. With the baby coming it will be less expensive, but because our insurance changed we had to change surgeons and go up to Primary Childrens instead of Provo. I was pretty grumpy about it. However, we had her consultation at the Riverton Hospital (which is an extension of Primary Childrens) today and found out we can do it in Riverton instead! That is so much closer and will be much easier. However, poor Emmy has been worried about this surgery for over 6 months. Part of me wishes we had just gotten it over with in the fall simply so she wouldn't have to worry for so long. But as it is, she will have the surgery next Tuesday, and THEN it will be all over with! Apparently it isn't very invasive and most kids go back to school the next day. It shouldn't be to hard of a recovery, but surgery still isn't fun - especially when you're 4 and don't really know what it is. Any prayers on her behalf would be muchly appreciated! I've decided to just not talk about it until next Monday since she HATES hearing me talk about it. Worrying for a week isn't going to do any good.
There you have it: all of the excitement of our household over the past couple of weeks. Apparently Emmy has the most exciting life. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So excited for you to find out if you are having a boy of girl. My guess is girl. :-) Emmy willl be in my prayers to find peace and comfort and that all will go well and she recovers fast! Update on the baby and her surgery. :-)
It is busy at your house!!
P.S. I love, love, LOVE Primary Children's Riverton. Have I mentioned that I LOVE it! We have had nothing but positive experiences with all of the services there. And the good thing is that they don't do emergency surgeries at that hospital so you can't be bumped on your time. They are wonderful with kids and putting them and their parents at ease.
Can't wait to hear about baby #3!
We will be anxiously awaiting the news... I'll go with BOY! But three girls would be awesome; I actually would love to have FOUR girls in a row and then a fifth boy to round it off. That would be my dream!
How exciting :) My guess is a girl, but I hope that you can have a boy so you can have one of each kind! We just had our ultrasound last night and it is a girl !
I thought I would offer you a little bit of advice about how to make her more comfortable with the surgery (we've had three), two of which were at Riverton. At Primary's they have a class the child can come to, as soon as the night before, where Child Life tells them what will happen, lets them practice on a doll, and shows them the facility. If Riverton doesn't. Don't worry, just make sure you ask for Child Life at the hospital. They'll bring babies, she can color a face like hers on it, and medical equipment like the mask they use to put the kids to sleep. Also they will give her lots of free toys and fun activities. You can also ask for Versaid (a drug which can make her a little loopy and not so aware of the separation from you---because there is a red line in the floor where you can't cross and someone she doesn't know will have to take her. They do a great job though. But always the night before we get materials from around the house and our doctor kit and doll and I go through the whole thing with Kyle, he does really well because we've talked so thoroughly about it. They often say the blood pressure cuff is giving a tight hug and the thermometer is a beep, beep in their ear. In case you are going to role play. I really stress the part where she will be asleep and feel nothing and by the time she wakes up mommy will be back. You will be able to go back and see her in recovery before she is even aware. Also, don't worry if she comes out of it crying. Kyle always cries and cannot be comforted for quite awhile after the anesthesia, but he doesn't remember that. I know that she is older so I am not sure how much familiarity she has with medical stuff and such. I am sure it will go fine, and I'm not trying to over step. Just thought since we have a lot of practice we'd give you a little behind the scenes ideas.
Can't wait for Thursday!! Exciting! We will keep Emmy in our prayers. I'm glad it's time to get the surgery over with so she can be done worrying. Hope it goes well. Love you guys!
P.S. Got the penpal letters... thank you! My kids loved them. Tell Emmy Madi was thrilled and we appreciate it.
It was nice to see you at the park today!
I think you'll have a boy—because that's the cool thing to do.
Miriam is getting her 2-year molars. I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever come in. :) Some kids just do things slower than others, I guess.
As for the hernia, best of luck. I'll keep little Emmy in my prayers!
Post a Comment