Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wild Weekend

Brett had a snowshoeing trip with the young men this weekend, so Emmy and I decided to run up to Logan to visit the cousins. Emmy was so excited to get to see Baby Henry and hold him as well as play with Dallin and Spencer. She was such a big helper while I packed for us!Notice that she even "buckled" herself in. She was ready to go! Too bad only half of our clothes are in there...

Garratt drove up there with us, and that took a lot of the stress off of me. Long trips with Emmy in the backseat and me having to concentrate on driving make me a little nervous. But Emmy slept almost the whole way there and was a sweetheart.

When we arrived, the kids got to open up presents from Grandma. Emmy got a board book, and Dallin and Spencer got coloring books. What a nice Grandma!

Emmy LOVED taking care of Henry. She was always grabbing a blanket to cover him and got so excited when he was in his bouncy seat so she could talk to him. He was very patient with his crazy cousin and even smiled at her a few times.


He is growing so fast that I can tell he's grown even though we are seeing him so often! What a darling little boy!

We had a blast playing and visiting the cheese factory (one of Emmy's favorite places to go since cheese is her favorite food).

While we were having so much fun, Brett was having an adventure of his own. Snowshoeing in the dark. In below freezing temperatures. With frozen water. Hiking up hills and down into ravines. Getting lost even though one leader had been to the cabin before. And had a GPS. Let's just say the boys were crying and the leaders were each silently making plans for how they would keep boys alive if they had to spend the night in the snow. It was extremely difficult, but everyone who went is glad they did it, and it was a great learning experience both preparation wise and spiritually. I'm just glad he made it home.

But the weekend ended wonderfully with Henry's blessing on Sunday. We had a dinner all together afterwards, and it was fun to get to visit with everyone. Brett drove up with my parents Sunday morning even though he was absolutely exhausted, and it was so good to see him again. :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Winter scout camping... I'm not sure I'll ever see the virtue in this, other than teaching survival skills out of NECESSITY! It makes me glad that I'll never have to go on a winter campout. I'm glad that Brett survived. If I was one of those boys, I would have cried too!

Amy said...

Wow what they go through to teach the boys survival skills! I would not want to be on that trip. Right now Girls camp at the Heber Camp sounds like a nice trip out.

Christy said...

What a weekend! I have such nightmares of sending my boys on snowy camping adventures. But my brothers LOVED them so I will probably cave. I love the sweet "mothering" pictures of Emmy!