Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A hat!

One of Abby's first "words" was " a hat" spoken with a very long aaaa and in a high pitch. I'm sure it sounds like a screech to untrained ears, but to those who know it sounds like a hat. Strange first words, eh? Not so strange if you watch this little girl play with her daddy. Brett puts something on his head, calls it a hat, and then lets Abby knock it off his head. He played it with Emmy all the time, too. It's definitely a favorite game at our house, and we often have some sibling rivalry over who gets to knock the "hat" off. This game has become an obsession with Abby to the point that she just HAS to get a hat off of anyone's head. I wore a crocheted headband with a flower on it a few days ago. Abby looked up and me, said, "A hat!" and started to crawl up my legs. It took a few hours for her to give up trying to get it off my head everytime I held her. And a couple weeks ago, we were playing at a friend's house. Abby kept crawling over to Shannon (the mom) and climbing into her lap. I was surprised that she was being so friendly with someone we hadn't spent a lot of time with recently. Then it dawned on me. Abby was trying to get Shannon's had off her head! Emmy and Abby were playing in the sewing room while I raced to get something sewn one day, and when I turned around, this is what I found: Abby loved her new hat, and Emmy was quite proud of stretching the elastic of the pants over Abby's head all by herself. And not to be left out, Emmy grabbed this quilt to be her hat for the picture.
The most amazing part is that Abby actually kept the "hat" on for several minutes - long enough to show Daddy when he came home from work!

1 comment:

GayLynn said...

It's so cute to hear the way you describe Abby's pronunciation of hat. I wish we lived closer to hear her voice in person and to give her a squeeze!