Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Ice Skating

"Do you know what my one wish is?" Emmy asked wistfully a couple of weeks ago.
"What?" I asked.
"To go ice skating!" she answered.
"I think we could figure out a time to go ice skating," I told her.
And so we did.  We were going to have a mommy/daughter date to Peaks Arena, but it is a pretty big drive from here and they are only open at certain times that didn't work into our schedule very well.  Then I remembered going ice skating in South Jordan at the outdoor city rink.  I worked out great to head up to Brett's parents' house earlier on Saturday, leave Aaron with Nana, and ice skate!

Brett and Abby came for a little while, but they got cold, and the ice was too slippery for Abby even with shoes on, so they headed back to take a nap at Nana's.

Emmy and I had a fun time skating.  She fell down a lot, but she improved immensely in the hour and a half we were there.  Her skates dug into her ankles, but she didn't want to stop skating, so we shoved in a few tissues I had in my coat pocket, and she kept going.  She has sores on her ankles now, days later, and I feel really bad she got that hurt!  Wear LONG socks when you ice skate!

I felt like I was doing pretty well keeping my balance and holding Emmy's hand as we skated along.  Then she asked me to show her how to stop.  "You go like this," I said, and I skated a few feet away and then attempted to stop by putting my skate sideways against the ice (like in all the ice skating movies).  And my feet slipped right out from under me, and I landed hard on my backside, and it hurt.  A LOT. 

Emmy only had 2 falls that were hard like that, and by the time Daddy came to pick us up, she could skate around the big Christmas tree in the  middle of the rink without falling down!

No comments: