Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Messy Business

If there's one thing I've learned about being a mom, it's that it's messy! I love Emmy and I know that the smears across my shirt and pants are out of love and not malice, but they are still there. I've learned to check my clothes (front and back) if I'm going somewhere without Emmy. If I take Emmy, I figure everyone will understand why I look a bit messy!
My favorite mess (on me) of the past 13 months occured a couple of weeks ago just after I'd made some Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. I was eating one, so of course Emmy wanted one. I gave it to her as we were walking outside to the yard. The bright sunshine made her sneeze, and that sneeze landed chocolate oatmeal goo all over my white shirt. Luckily, laundry detergent is amazing, and my shirt is as good as new now!
After experiences like that, you'd think I'd learned to wear dark, washable clothes that hide stains and wash up well. And I have learned to do just that, but somedays I just feel like wearing khaki pants. Like today. This morning as Emmy was "helping" me get dressed in the fortress (our walk-in closet and Emmy's favorite place to play), I turned to Emmy and asked, "Are you going to be messy today?" She looked at me with her big, innocent eyes, and I decided to risk wearing the khakis since it was supposed to be cold today, so we probably wouldn't play outside. Nothing eventful happened until lunchtime. Emmy had gone down for her morning nap at her usual time, but was still sleeping after 2 hours! I was not too upset by this occurance even though it meant I had to eat lunch by myself. I heated up my Sticky Fingers Wrap from Wingers (that Brett had gotten for me since he went there to eat last night with some coworkers who wanted his expert opinion about a website they are making - isn't he so sweet to think of me since he knows that is one of my favorite restaurants?). As I was eating it, enjoying the extreme yumminess of the experience, plop, out came one of the sticky fingers! Why things can't just fall to the floor when I drop them is beyond me; it bounced onto my pants, rolled down the leg, slid across the barstool rung, and then landed on the floor. Needless to say, the khaki pants will be in the laundry basket tonight. And I can't blame it on Emmy! This mess was all my fault. I guess my Mom will tell you that some little girls never outgrow making messes. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I figure the older they get the bigger messes they can make! Which makes sense when mommies make their own sticky finger messes all on their own :)