Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy Moments

Tonight Emmy fell asleep while I was rocking her. That doesn't happen that often. I'm really grateful that she is so good at putting herself to sleep (it took a long time to get here), but I LOVE getting to hold my sleeping baby. So tonight I rocked her for much longer than I needed to.

Maybe it was because Brett is gone to a BYU basketball game with his dad. Maybe it's because I knew I should be working on first of the year Primary stuff for tomorrow.

No, it was one of those moments when one of my childhood fantasies of being a mom came true. I was rocking my baby to sleep. I loved playing with my dolls. They were so real to me. I took my responibility to take care of them very seriously. (I am finding myself caring for Baby Ammon after Emmy is in bed. I don't just toss him over with the stuffed animals; his "away" place is in the crib with a blanket. Apparently I never grew up...) I always looked forward to being a mom. It was my number one goal. I am so grateful to be Emmy's mommy now. It has brought more joy than I ever imagined while playing with my dolls or babysitting others' children. It definitely has it's fair share of hard times, too. No more sleep in Saturdays was probably the hardest adjustment for me. And I still remember my first realization that being a mom was unlike any other job: no holidays, no time off, days and nights, the fullest of FULLTIME! But it has gotten more and more rewarding, and now I find myself missing my buddy during some of my "breaks." She's just too much fun! I look forward to getting to be Emmy's mom for a whole lot longer.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This was sweet :) You're such a wonderful mom!

Julie and Matt said...

I think this is the reason that I'm enjoying Henry so much. I feel like I have my little live doll. I love holding him while he sleeps and rocking him. I don't even mind the night time feedings. They are only little for so long. Emmy is a sweetheart. You are were very blessed to get her.