Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Underpants

It's official. I am finally ready to potty train Emmy. I say that I'm ready because Emmy's been ready for awhile. I would start a day thinking, "Today is the day. We are going to go potty often and stay dry." But then the day would get going, and I would get distracted, and Emmy would not be cooperative, and our potty training day would end early.
Last week, I bought training pants for Emmy. I was shocked at how expensive they are. I guess $7 for 3 pairs isn't outrageous, but it seemed like quite a bit for our tighter budget. My mom remembered that she had a pattern from when she made training pants for us (30 years ago!). We went to her house and made 4 pairs for free since she had leftover terry cloth that she wasn't going to use. So there's my tip of the day for being frugal: live close to your mom who has lots of leftover fabric and amazing talents with using it.


I think they turned out pretty cute, and Emmy likes to wear them. We've started calling them "underpants" because she was getting "underwear" mixed up with "undershirts," so we thought it might make more sense to wear undershirts under her shirt and underpants under her pants. It's still pretty confusing to her.
So far, we are doing great with potty training. She's had a couple of accidents, but as long as I take her potty every hour she does fine. Her wearing underwear certainly helps motivate me to take her potty often! She even wore underwear to church and didn't have an accident. (I could hardly concentrate because I was worrying so much, but she did great!) I am excited for her success and looking forward to her being totally potty trained! No diapers! Yay!(Yes, I do know that is still far away, but it's closer than it was!)

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, man! I know how you feel about worrying constantly about accidents. Rachel's been in underwear for quite some time but every time I take her to nursery I stress out the whole time. Or anytime we leave the house for an extended period of time, actually.

Last week was the first week I didn't have to worry about it! She's been doing so well.

Potty training is the best! :)

Well, maybe not the best, but being potty trained is the best.

Cute undies, by the way. I wish I had a sewing talent, but at least I live in Egypt where her underwear is only a dollar a pair :)

Good luck!

Unknown said...

I wish Rebecca would cooperate with potty training. It's not that she can't do it. She tells me when she has a dirty diaper and whether it is 'soggy' or 'stinky' and asks for a diaper change. When she wants to, she goes in the potty, but it is very rare. If I take her to the potty, she refuses to go.

This Christmas, we finally found out why. Rebecca told Kevin she likes the "nice warm water." Great.

GayLynn said...

I can't believe those awesome underpants you guys made! Such talent!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Wow, you made that? That makes me wish I was a better homemaker! I am excited for you though, and good job Emmy!

Bethany said...

Hi, You don't know me but Nancy Heiss told me to come look at your blog. My 16 month old is ready to be potty trained but she's still wearing 9 month clothing. needless to say, I haven't been able to find any underwear that would fit her. Nancy said you might have a suggestion about where to get patterns or maybe get yours. If you have any suggestions that you could share, my blog is www.texaschais.blogspot.com Thanks
Bethany

Bethany said...

i used to live in Lindon but I'm currently in TX. If you wanted to scan it and send it to my e-mail I would greatly appreciate it.
bchai@consolidated.net
Thank you so much!
Bethany