Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Case of the 'embers

We had high hopes that our streak of tough luck was over with NovEMBER. But, no. Apparently it is going to continue through DecEMBER as well!

When I was making dinner last night, I ran down to the basement to grab something from the food storage room. In the first basement room, I noticed that a box was wet. I immediately looked around at the ceiling to figure out what was leaking. As I walked closer to the corner, my feet began to sink into VERY soggy carpet. And I could hear water leaking from behind the little door that houses the main water shut off valve. I turned it off, but the water noise continued. So Brett called our wonderful neighbor who came over, soaked his socks on carpet, called his connections, got someone from the city to come over and turn off the water to our house at the street, and offered that we could hook a hose to his house and pressurize our water that way. It was a very stressful situation, but we so appreciated his help since we didn't know what to do!

We spent the night and most of today without water which was an adventure. Emmy thought it was hilarious that we had to put water in the potties after flushed them and kept asking if the water was on now. We were very grateful for the water we had stored and the buckets of water another neighbor brought over. It made the house live-able. The worst part was not being able to run my dishwasher or do dishes period!

Needless to say, we realized that we couldn't stay in our house, so we moved in with Brett's parents for the weekend. Brett talked to some people in the ward, and they are going to help us get it fixed next week.

Can I just say how GRATEFUL I am for wonderful neighbors and ward members?!?! I am definitely learning how to serve others better. Next time someone tells me about a hardship they are having I will NOT answer with "Well, let me know if I can do anything." I will DO something!

On a more positive note, Brett had a second interview with a company in Murray, and it went really well. He is feeling good about the position, and if the next interview goes well, he will pretty much be guaranteed the job!!! We're sure praying hard!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Yikes! You guys really know how to have a good time. My house, laundry machine, dishwasher, and husband are always available. I am not much help when it comes to plumbing but I have a plumber brother (Eric) that I am sure would help.

In the meantime, I will keep a prayer in my heart that a new job will be your Christmas miracle.

Seriously, my doors are always open... with 4 hooligans I am not sure how much "help" we would be. Love you!

Jenelle said...

When I saw this title, I thought the post was going to be about EMBER Jane!
I am so sorry for your period of trials. We can't wait to see you, hug you, and finally be in Utah to help you!