I don't know how exactly dreams work with babies and young kids, Emmy has definitely started dreaming and remembering her dreams.
A few weeks ago, she woke up crying in the middle of the night. I went in to see what was wrong and to help her calm down and go back to sleep. As soon as I walked in the room, she said, "I want to play with the white soap in the sink." I had no idea what she was talking about and tried to hold her and rock her. She was insistent, however, that I let her play with the white soap in the sink! She wriggled out of my arms and started to head downstairs but stopped when I didn't follow her. I told her I was not going downstairs because it was time to sleep. But she would have NOTHING to do with me. She was really mad at me for not letting her play with the white soap in the sink in her dream and in real life. Finally, Brett was able to get her calmed down (apparently he was nice in her dream), and she fell asleep in our bed since Brett couldn't carry her into her bed and I was way too exhausted to do it.
The really funny thing about that experience is that I have had mornings when I wake up mad at Brett for something rude he did in my dream. Now I know how he felt! It's not fun to have someone mad at you for something you didn't do!
And last week, Emmy woke up one morning telling me about the balloons that Daddy put in her drawer. She excitedly climbed out of bed and opened her drawer and then looked at me and asked me where I put the balloons! She was so disappointed to not find her balloons. Poor girl!
Now, if we can teach her that dreams are not real, it would make life a little easier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How funny! It never occurred to me that there is a transition period where you don't know that dreams are not real.
Post a Comment