I have a few chores that I am really good at. I have a few chores I am really bad at. I think I could count on one hand how many times I've dusted since we moved here 4 1/2 years ago! I'm also pretty bad at vacuuming on a regular schedule because it's a pain to have to clear the floors and I have a noise-phobic Abby (and before I had her, I had a noise-phobic Emmy).
Anyway, back to the chores I'm good at. I keep the dishes in check simply because it drives me crazy to have a sink full of dirty dishes. And I am pretty good at getting laundry done and put away. It takes me two days of my chore-a-day plan, but it gets done.
Until now.
On Thursday (do-the-laundry day), the first load came out of the washer dripping wet, so I ran another spin cycle. Still drippy wet. I ran another spin cycle and stayed to watch it. Plenty of draining noise and very little spinning. So I called my mom for some pity. She suggested I talk to my dad who can fix anything. He called me that evening and suggested a few things (like unplugging it and plugging it back in and running a different cycle). When that didn't make a difference, he told me to call an appliance repairman. I found one who charged $40 to diagnose and then would refund $20 if we had them do the work. Repairman came on Friday, spent almost an hour diagnosing, and came back with bad news. Bad motor control board. $620 to replace it!!!! Seriously?!?! That's almost as much as a new machine!
Brett and I are discussing what our plan is now, and I need to do a bit more research tomorrow. But in the meantime, I feel like my whole house is falling apart simply because I can't do laundry. I know that's silly. I can still pick up toys. I can still do dishes. I can even pick up the dirty clothes and put them in the hamper. I just can't wash the ever-growing piles of clothes. And with Aaron going through 3 outfits today, those piles are growing pretty quickly. :) (Don't worry too much about us going naked, though. We have a laundry date at my parents' house in the next few days.)
I know this is such a tiny trial and I feel bad even complaining about it, but I can promise you that I will never take my washing machine for granted again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ugh. I'm so sorry. :(
Our van keeps fritzing out and it's driving me bonkers.
Why do we even own things, seriously?!
So true - you don't appreciate something until you don't have it anymore.
And isn't it funny how it can feel like the whole world is falling apart when you get off you cleaning schedule for even one day? Like when you're sick and the dishes pile up - it seems like they must have babies and multiply in the sink, because I can never believe how many there are the next day.
I guess it helps me appreciate how kids can get so thrown off by a schedule change, too...
I'm so sorry! what a frustration! I'm glad you have mom and dad's washer close by but sorry you have to haul everything over there.
I'm sorry for the frustration.... my washer and dryer are always available. Please feel free to bring a load or two by. I'd be happy to see you.
Post a Comment