Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Particular about Potties


Abby is officially potty trained and has been for several weeks.  I’m still amazed at just how quickly and easily it happened especially with a brand new baby.  I rarely even think about when Abby last went or worry about her having an accident.  The only time it crosses my mind is right before nap and right before bed when we are sure to go potty.  She’s even staying dry all night.  It’s lovely.
But two weeks ago, when we were at Brett’s parents’ house we ran into a bit of an issue.  She needed to go potty, told Nana, and then refused to sit on the toilet.  They tried another toilet.  I tried to convince her to sit down.  She was freaked out about sitting on the big toilet, and I realized she hadn’t sat on a big toilet for a few weeks.
You see, we have a little potty that she learned on, and then she fell in love with a little potty seat (or ‘ittle potty ‘eat, as she calls it) that goes on the real toilet when we were visiting my sister.  Julie let us take the seat home since her kids don’t use it anymore.  When we’re upstairs, she uses the little potty seat (in my bathroom because that is so much cooler than the kids bathroom), and when we’re downstairs she uses her little potty.  When we’re at my parents’ house, she sits on ‘the duck’ (little wooden potty seat with a duck head on top of the shield in front) which is what we all sat on as kids. 
So the idea of sitting on that big, gaping hole of a toilet at Nana’s was just too much.  She declared she didn’t need to go potty and kept playing, but she would stop every few minutes and look at me with a distressed look and tell me she needed to go.  We tried several times to sit on the big toilet, but she was too scared.  I finally put a diaper on her, she did her business, and all was well in the world.  When we were at WalMart last week, I invested (a whole $9) in another little potty seat to live at Nana’s house so we don’t run into this problem again!
Now, fast forward to today at church.  The nursery leader brought Abby to me in Primary because she needed to go potty and wouldn’t go with her teacher, insisting she needed me.  I had just started nursing Aaron (in the back of the room during Sharing Time (with a cover, don’t worry)), so I asked the leader to take her to Brett.  I didn’t think much more of it until I picked Abby up from nursery and asked if Daddy had taken her potty.  She told me that Daddy had taken her home to go potty and then brought her back.  I guess she was throwing a fit for him about the big toilet, so he took her to the potty he knew she’d go on!  She seemed pretty excited about her adventure, but we’ll be sure to go potty before church from now on so we don’t have to play hooky again!

1 comment:

Evan and Holly said...

They make little potty seats that fold into fourths and fit in a little plastic bag to stick in your purse or diaper bag. I had one with Kyle when he was little. It doesn't lock into place or anything. But you can find them at Walmart and they are inexpensive, we had a Winnie the Pooh one, I thought it fitting. Kyle liked the big toilet just fine. But you might want it for if you are shopping or at the mall or a friend's house....anywhere there might be a big potty. :)