Okelberry Family

Okelberry Family

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

True Love

Tonight was our Christmas Additional RS Meeting (formerly known as Enrichment, formerly known as Homemaking).  Brett was planning to take the girls to dinner at McDonalds (since I would be eating at the meeting) so I would only have Aaron to worry about (and since I'd have Aaron I wouldn't be limited to the 2-hour nursing window Aaron enforces).  Abby agreed to go with Daddy and Emmy after hearing she'd get chicken nuggets and that they would visit the pet store.  Driving in Daddy's car sealed the deal, and she hardly said goodbye to me as they left.  (That is HUGE for her right now.  We have tears when I leave the room without her.  She gets held more than Aaron...seriously.)

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening with only Aaron who was a perfect baby.  Other people held him most of the time and I got to participate in conversations with my full attention.  It was lovely.  Upon my arrival home, Brett met me at the door with my phone that I'd forgotten and told me to check my text messages.  There were two, one of which was from Brett.  It read, "Abby pooped her pants at McDonalds.  I love you."

I know that nobody enjoys cleaning up poop.  It is disgusting.  But Brett has an especially strong aversion to poop.  I was aware of this before Emmy was born, and I agreed to change all poopy diapers.  He has changed a few poopy diapers over the last 5 1/2 years (when I am gone), and he is willing to help when it is a necessity, but if it is not an absolute requirement for him to do it, I do it.  He helps out in a myriad of other ways, so I really don't mind being the poopy-diaper-changer in our family.  Poop is not his thing; it doesn't really phase me.  That's okay.

But tonight, he fought the desire to drive straight to the church, bring me home, and have me clean up Abby.  The thought crossed his mind (and probably lingered there longer than he'd like to admit!), but he let me have my evening away that I so desperately needed.  He cleaned up Abby, gave her a bath, and everyone was well and happy when I got home.

That, my friends, is true love.

1 comment:

Stacy Pettersen said...

Poop doesn't phase me, either. I think you can't be a mom and have a poop aversion; necessity won't allow it! And I have had to clean up a poop accident at a McDonalds... when it wasn't even my kid! So tell him that, ha ha!